RELIGIOUS LITERACY QUIZ (ANSWERS) STEPHEN PROTHERO, BOSTON UNIVERSJTY
Total Students: 122 in 2006; 175 in 2007
1. Four Gospels: Average=2. 3: (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) 8% said Paul. Other incorrect answers : James, Joshua , Mary, Jeremiah
2. Hindu Scripture: 26% correct: (Vedas, Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita, Mahabharata, Kama Sutra, Ramayana) Other incorrect answers: Torah, Bible
3. Muslim m Scripture: 85% correct: (Qur'an)
4. Jesus' Birthplace: 60% correct: (Bethlehem) 15% said
5. Jerusalem Jericho Road: Almost 3% correct:(Good Samaritan Story)
6. Bible's First Five Books: 12% got all five books: (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy) Average=1 .6
7. Golden Rule: 63% correct: ("Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.")
8. "God helps those who help themselves." 76. 5% knew that this is not in the Bible.
9. "Blessed are the poor in spirit.'' 61% knew that this was from the Bible. Only 16%, however, knew that it was from the Beatitudes or Sermon on the Mount.
10. Ten Commandments: A verage=4 .6: (4 could name all 10): (I am the Lord your God, No Other Gods Before Me, Name in Vain, Keep the Sabbath Holy, Honor Mother and Father, Not Kill, No Adultery, No Stealing , No Bearing False Witness, No Coveting)
11. Four Noble Truths: Average =17%: (Life is suffering, Suffering has an origin, Suffering can be overcome, The path to overcoming suffering is the Noble Eightfold Path) (2 people in 2007 could name all 4)
12. Seven Sacraments: Average 2.5%: (Baptism, Communion, Confession, Confirmation, Ordination , Marriage, Unction)
13. First Amendment Clauses: 32% knew at least one answer : (Establishment Clause; Free Exercise Clause)
14. Ramadan: 62% knew that this was Islamic; 38% knew that it was a fast.
15. Bible Stories: 96% correctly placed Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden; 93% correctly associated Moses with the parting of the Red Sea; Only 30% got Paul and the Road to Damascus: 13% placed the Serpent in the Garden of Gethsemane.
Catholic 50% 52%
Atheist/Agnostic 31% 26%
Hindu/BuddhisUSikh 34.5% 32%
Jewish 38% 39%
Protestant 48% 44%